Sunday, April 18, 2010

Seba Blackwork Project Completed!

I put the last stitches in the Seba Blackwork SAL yesterday during my son's orchestra rehearsal. The last piece was the border; and I put if off because I thought it would be tedious. As it turned out, it went very quickly, and I can add something else to my "to be framed" pile.
Now, I will treat myself to a new quick project - I only have to decide which one of the "thousands" that are screaming for attention. It will have to be a quick thing because I will be going to Celebrations at the end of the month - and so will start several new class pieces.

I haven't been stitching very much this week - DH and I have flung over 8 yards of shredded bark mulch so far this spring. I still have three large areas to mulch - one is a sadly neglected bed that is weedy, and that I need to reclaim from the deer, so that one will be a lot of work. I also have to bring some order to the planting area by the pool - it is rampantly overgrown with deer delicacies - roses, lilies, hibiscus, redbud trees, and such.

We are off to the soccer field in a little bit - but will have to dress warmly. This morning it was 40 degrees when I walked the dog.

Happy stitching! Margaret

Sunday, April 11, 2010


Here is a long overdue update - when I was snowed in, I had plenty of time to update my blog; but now that spring is sprung, I don't want to take the time - LOL. First up is Part 10 of the German Group Mystery sampler. This piece is lovely. When I started it, it was Christmas time, and the red, green and gold color scheme looked very "Christassy". But now, the piece looks like it will fit in perfectly into my house, which is mostly green and cream colors.

I am also still plugging away at the Seba Blackwork mystery. All that is left to do is the borders; but they are not great fun. So, I am trying to do at least two motifs a day until I get this done. This is an awful picture, but you get the idea.

And lastly, here is my April ornie. The chart is from the Needlebook Tree by Follow the Leader Designs, TGOSM December 2007. I used HDF BeFrogged and mystery linen. I finished it as a pillow ornament. I am not at all happy with the finishing; and I would redo it; but I am afraid I would tear up the piece if I took it apart. I think I am too impatient to take the time to do a nice finishing job.

Spring is finally here - YEA! My daffodils are about done - we have had unseasonably warm weather. The asparagus is yielding like mad, and I noticed the first of my miniature tall bearded irises (how is that for a plant name?) are blooming. They bloom between the iris reticulata and the dutch iris. The iris season then continues with the tall bearded, then the Siberians, the Japanese and then my faves: the Louisianas.

Usually my favorite flower is what is blooming now; but my all time favorite is blooming now - my camellias. I live in the northern border of their hardiness range; but our 3 feet of snow this winter did not seem to bother them too much. This year I will take more garden pics and post here.

Have to go and get ready for DS's opening soccer game today. He is on two soccer teams and the golf team at school. He is headed into concert season for the orchestra - a performance at school on Tuesday and then his Peabody Youth Orchestra concert in May. Plus, he has started doing volunteer work at the Recreational and Therapeutic riding center near us. He is helping with the horses for now. I am hoping this gives him something to do this summer. Looks like my travel stitching projects will see some action in the next couple of months!

Thanks for leaving me comments - I am a hardened lurker; but I do enjoy reading everyone's entries and admiring their projects.

Happy stitching! Margaret